PONT SUSPENDU

Historic site and monument ,  Bridge at Villemur-sur-Tarn

Pont-suspendu-VILLEMUR-SUR-TARNMAIRIE VILLEMUR SUR TARN
Pont-suspendu-bis-3-VILLEMUR-SUR-TARNMAIRIE VILLEMUR SUR TARN
Pont-suspendu-bis-1-VILLEMUR-SUR-TARNMAIRIE VILLEMUR SUR TARN
Pont-suspendu-bis-VILLEMUR-SUR-TARNMAIRIE VILLEMUR SUR TARN
  • Jean Brusson, called Jeantet, became contractor of public works in 1830.

    Jeantet was the grandfather of Jean-Marie Elie Brusson who would found, in 1871, the young Brusson manufacturing company, producing “pasta from Italy”. He built the first suspension bridge in Tarn in 1832, a project he would see through with the help of his son, Antoine. With a toll placed on it, this first version of the bridge did not meet with unanimous approval. On proclamation of the Third Republic, a group of young insurgents from Villemur and Bondigoux cut the wiring, obliterating both bridge and toll.
    It was in 1924 that the third version of the Villemur Bridge was unveiled, entirely remodelled. Only the base of the column - still visible at low tide - survived the terrible 1930 floods. Tanks replaced the destroyed structure until 1932. The current suspension bridge was intended for Czechoslovakia but ended up in Villemur owing to the urgency of the situation. It was repaired in 2017 following observed weaknesses in the structure.
  • Access
    • Airport/airfield  :  Toulouse Blagnac at 36 km
    • Railway station  :  Gare St Sulpice at 21 km
    • Motorway  :  A68 St Sulpice at 21 km
  • Environment
    • Near a river or waterway  :  Le Tarn at -1 km