PONT SUSPENDU

Bridge ,  Historic site and monument at Bessières

pont suspendu BESSIERESCC Val'Aïgo
pont suspendu BESSIERESCC Val'Aïgo
  • In former times, the Tarn was crossed by ferry.

    The road leading to it still lies between the two shores. The ferry used to belong to the community, but the ferryman’s right was subject to renewal and the payment of an annual fee by the highest bidder. It was only in around 1850 that Bessières was linked to the right bank by a wooden suspension bridge. The bridge was weakened by the 1930 floods, but was the only one to survive. Work on the new bridge began in 1952. It was launched in 1955 by Minister Pierre Bourgès-Maunoury. The current Bessières Bridge is a metal construct. It rests on a part of the old columns that are recognisable as tiles joined together by limestone mortar, a design that is both elegant and solid with a dual carriage way and modern design. This work of art embellishing Bessières was launched in 1955.