Located 2 km from the Canal du Midi, the small village of Saint-Rome is distinguished by its exceptional buildings.
In the middle of the 19th century, the Marquis de la Panouse inherited a domain there. Inspired by the utopia of the workers'; cities of the great industrial bosses of the 19th century, by the universal exhibitions and by his many journeys, he had about twenty buildings built there to organize family life, workplaces and social space for the owner of the premises, the manager, the guardian, the employees and, outside the enclosure wall, the seasonal workers. The result is amazing! Thus, in a kind of harmonious patchwork, very original houses with a variety of architectural styles (Flemish, Moorish, Scandinavian, Baroque. . . ) coexist.
This unusual village has been on the list of historic monuments since 1950. The domain cannot be visited but is visible from the outside.